Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Our Advent Calendar


Take time to be aware that in the very midst of our busy preparations for the celebration of Christ’s birth in ancient Bethlehem, Christ is reborn in the Bethlehems of our homes and daily lives. Take time, slow down, be still, be awake to the Divine Mystery that looks so common and so ordinary yet is wondrously present. ~Edward Hays, A Pilgrim’s Almanac

I always wanted an Advent Calender even though it was not a tradition in my family nor in my husband's. I like the artistic decorative paper ones as well as the wooden ones with boxes. We have a wooden one with "ornaments" in each box to place on its tree in the middle. Each little ornament, having magnets to make them stay in place on the Christmas tree, is symbolic of Christmas or of a Christmas tradition and forklore. It is our tradition that every night before bedtime, the Princess opens a door to take out the ornament. Often we try to guess what the symbol will be. Then I read from the cards that came with the set.

This year I will be inviting you to our advent tradition too, so every night at around 8:00 PM I will make an advent post. I hope you will enjoy it with us.

~ My Lord, thank you for dear friends to share our advent tradition with us. Prepare our hearts each day to take time, slow down, be still, be awake to the Divine Mystery that looks so common and so ordinary yet is wondrously present. ~