Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Are We Standing Firm?


For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
~ Ephesians 6:12-13 (NASB)

My friend, Ganeida, wrote her thoughts on Halloween here and I have been contemplating the wide range of views from Christians on Halloween in addition to some of things we covered during our Sunday night study when we talked about what Nazarenes believe—Halloween is inconveniently not addressed at all in the manual, but it is a rather common practice for the churches to have a fall festival or "trunk and treat."

I would be the first to say that it matters more to the Lord what is in the heart of a person. I believe that, absolutely, without any reservation. Yet, there are times when I feel my spirit turns faster than my body possibly could. At times, something within me homes in on the spiritual realm, a state I often find quite disconcerting. Yes, upon occasion, I have detected demons within people and angels nearby as well. It is a sixth sense, some might say, but I say it is the Holy Spirit. I used to think every Christian had things like this happen to them, but the truth is the discernment of spirits, that is knowing what is demonic, angelic, or just human, is a rare gift. There are times I just seem to know when Christians have made decisions based on their understanding of the Holy Bible instead of being directly guided by the Lord. If our understanding of the Bible were enough to really know my Lord and His desires, we would not have so many different sects in Christianity. My Lord always meets us where we are, thankfully; He must for we rarely shed what comforts us to meet Him.

We pick a religion based on our ability to agree with its doctrine. We pick our place of worship if we like the people who go there and for its convenience, which truly is an important factor because it is difficult to be involved if the church is located too far away. We become involved with a church depending on the ministries it offers and how it ministers to us. We do all this based on what is pleasing to us and because my Lord meets us wherever we are.

I am going about this the long way around to say that as people we want it all. We want God to give us favor, but also not give up anything to which we have worldly attachments, even if those attachments are what keep us from what God desires and blessings He is waiting for us to be prepared to receive. I see this in many people surrounding Halloween. People want their children to not miss out on the fun of Halloween, perhaps because they have fond memories of it. Perhaps they were not raised in Christian families. Perhaps they were but their family did not see the harm. If their neighbors are going trick or treating, why can't their children as long as they do not wear scary costumes? It is just for fun. There is no harm in it. It is so far removed from its origins that it does not make any difference. Even if we are walking on the same street as other people dressed as witches, warlocks, fortune-tellers, zombies, devils, prostitutes, monsters, etc., certainly God would not be displeased if my child goes trick or treating in a cute, cuddly teddy bear costume...? Some Christians use the opportunity to hand out tracks or other Christian trinkets so the message gets out, but many have given up on that because it justifies the trickery.

Yes, Jesus went out among the sinners, but...He did not imitate them and He had a God-directed purpose for doing so, a mission. He had a message of God's love to deliver. He was preparing them for God's kingdom. He was out there meeting the people where they were to help them understand God's desire for them, to be with Him in His kingdom, to not focus on the worldly things. Have we set our face away from my Lord so much that we think Jesus would be out there trick or treating too? Are we not suppose to be like Jesus? I think if Jesus went out on Halloween, it would be the same message He has always given to draw us back to the Lord.

The Christians who celebrate Halloween obviously do not see it as a spiritual hook for their unsuspecting guppies. Each generation becoming more desensitized to the spiritual battles. Halloween is just bait. How can we trust our ability to discern between the spirits at any other time if we cannot see the subtle influences seeping into Christianity from trick or treating. Are we so "civilized" that we do not see the workings of spirits? Have we diluted what is spiritual to a lukewarm state thinking we are righteous in whatever we do as long as we bear the name Christian? Why is it that Christians coming from other countries are dismayed by how un-Christian we seem to be here in the states? Believe it or not, I have met a few with a calling to be missionaries here in the U.S. and their mission field is Christian churches! How is it that our missionaries can go to their countries tell them to shed customs and traditions stemming from ancient religions so ingrained in their own culture, which do not glorify the Lord, while we are trick or treating here? I can almost see demons dancing in the hypocrisy.

~ My Lord, thank you for meeting me where I am and for revealing Your kingdom to me as undeserving I am. I pray, my Lord, that all Your children will see the workings of the spirits, both good and evil, for what they are and walk in Yours ways with aching from the comforts of this world. May our desire be only to please You.~