Friday, June 18, 2010

Here Am I


If I look at all the mass, I will never act. If I look at the one, I will. ~Mother Teresa


Isn't this a serene picture of a simple life? No phones, no cars, no technology, no Internet...gasp! Just a young lady walking in an unkempt field to a small church. In my heart, I am always craving that simplicity. A part of me wants to turn away from technology, just turn it all off...but then I would have missed out on meeting some amazing people in other parts of the world and developing friendships with them. Here am I, again, recognizing that so familiar conflict within me that is unending.

No doubt some of my online friends have been wondering why I have not posted lately. It is kind of ironic that the more things I am doing about which I could write are also the things that take me away from it.

Right now, even as my fingers are typing the thoughts in my mind, I feel torn between the many, many things I want to do (including this blog)...and then there are those everyday chores that I also must do, like feeding and educating my child, vacuuming floors blanketed with the fur of shedding pets, and attending to bathrooms that need a bath, and so on. I am thankful the Princess is capable of helping so much with meal preparation and housework these days. We are still doing lessons during the summer as we are preparing for testing, but she also needs time to just play with her friends... don't I also need the same?

The things I want to do? A very, very, very looooong list. I want to do and am doing the website for our church. (Yes, even churches use this technology that both serves and enslaves us.) It was mostly talking about doing it before, toying around with how it should be done, and where it would be stored. You see, at this time our church has no budget for a website and yet a high percentage of people look online for churches, which means that a website is often the first impression they have of a church. We have a domain name and website that was done by someone who had never done one before so it has a simple but outdated appearance. I have not built an entire website since 2003 and so much has changed with technology. We have decided to use the small but free storage provided by our ISP for the front page with links to free Blogger blogs for each ministry and the pastor's newsletter blog. More on all that is to come.

I just want to say that having set up two separate Blogger accounts has been a bit more challenging for me, as I forget in which one I am logged. Also, Google, the Blogger owner and manager, seems to fight with me and its cookies when I try to log out of one and into the other. I will get use to it all in time, I suppose.

(I just realized that Blogger change the "Preview" mode. Oh, I like this one much better. You can actually see how it is laid out with the backgrounds! Very cool!)

The church website has my priority right now, so the rest of my want-to-do's are mostly on hold, but I am still around and surprisingly I am feeling rather well lately. I had been fighting varying levels of the doldrums for several months, it seems. Although I am not doing the major projects in my home, I am cutting everything in just bite-size pieces and doing things here and there. I am rather surprised that I find myself smiling when look several days later at these little touches. I now realized I had created a terrible rut for myself, not to have been doing this all along. Even while there is so much still to do, I am seeing forward momentum and it has been keeping me motivated and inspired...and happy.

~ My Lord, please bless the website project, so it has the pleasing appearance and functionality necessary to attract new members to our church. Also, keep me motivated to finish it quickly. ~