Monday, August 15, 2016

Almost Thirty, But Still Just Twenty-Nine

A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year.
-Paul Sweeney

I do wish in some ways I was referring to my own age but I am referring to the age of my marriage. My husband and I have officially been married 29 years now. At this time last year, our daughter had been in our lives for half of our marriage and I wonder where we will all be when she has been in our lives for two-thirds of it in 13 more years.

We did not go out to celebrate because my husband was not feeling up to it. He has been working a very physically demanding job at a site with inadequate air conditioning for the past week and will be all of this week as well. He is very tired and not his usual optimistic self right now, so I cancelled our plans for dinner at the Melting Pot with another family we had invited to join us this weekend. I have been married to the guy with an unpredictable work and travel schedule too long to quibble over dates. We will celebrate when it works well for all of us.

However, the Princess was invited to see a movie with some friends after church service so my husband and I did make a stop at Cold Stone for way more delicious ice cream than we should have ate.

Then we went on with our plan to use our 30% off coupon at Kohl's for some shorts and socks my husband was needing. I was also looking for cross trainer shoes, but they had none in my size that I liked...and then I spotted some adorable booties on sale—originally $70. (There are few things in the world that are irresistible to me, like brownies, kittens, cheesecake, sci-fi, and dark chocolate, but boots are right up there in that list, too.) I walked away with a pair of these cuties at $31.50 plus tax. How could I possibly say no as they called to me on my anniversary?

I also got a little something for the Princess, but I do not know when I will be giving it to her. Shhh!

My Lord, thank you for my husband, a good man, and our marriage that has withstood its first 29 years. I am looking forward to the next 29.