Saturday, July 17, 2010

Two Boo-boos


As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes. ~Mel Brooks

Boo-boo #1

Yesterday, a friend asked the Princess to play at her house, so I watched the Princess riding her bike down the hill towards her friend's house, thinking that she would be pretty safe after she got to the bottom of the hill...mothers can be wrong! I watched the handlebars quickly jerk twice from one side to the other before the Princess fell. She was not that far away, but it is amazing how far it felt before I could get to her. I asked the friend to get my husband, who was working at home.

There were scrapes on her hands, near an elbow, on one knee, and something barely noticeable on a leg, but what she complained most about was her foot. Although I was not close enough to see, from the way she fell, I believe she hit her foot on the bike. We brought her home to clean up and examine her. I prayed about the foot and was sure it was not broken, but my husband suggested we get concrete proof. The problem was our chiropractor was on vacation and we are not ones to go the convention route with health care unless really necessary. So, we went to the chiropractor covering for ours while he was away. We got our x-rays, no bones appear broken and he used the tuning fork test, which would vibrate a broken bone and cause a great deal of pain, but otherwise is harmless.

Although limping, she went to the Atlanta Braves baseball game, her first time, with her father and other church members that evening. She saw fireworks and stayed up late, two things she loves to do. This morning she is still limping a bit, but not as much.


Boo-boo #2

My husband had the new church sign printed out on regular paper to present to the church board as you may recall in A New Church Sign? Maybe. Well, it was approved and on Tuesday he then stayed very late at the office to print it on a inflexible corrugated plastic, but he had to print it in halves. He did not really like having it done that way. He really wanted it on vinyl to stretch over the existing sign.

I was looking at the sign and then I realized I had made a mistake in the morning service time. Now the funny part is that just about everyone in my church has seen this sign, certainly all the board members and most of the department heads, which is probably half of the church, but no one caught this error. I am thinking that everyone was so dazzled by the lion and the sunburst, no one even bothered with the services times! That is for what I was hoping as the initial response, but maybe I went a tad overboard...?

We considered leaving it as the worst would be people came fifteen minutes earlier for worship service. Still, I was sick about it thinking my husband may not get the opportunity to print the two signs again, but he saw it as an opportunity to have it done on vinyl as he really wanted...and so it was done. Today, after realizing we needed two 2in X 4in X 8ft in lumber adding 45 minutes to get them, and with a brand new drill that was working just fine, but stopped about halfway through the job so all had to be hand screwed, and this as the clouds were no longer just threatening but actually following through with rain, we hung the new church sign. It is up! We need to repaint the poles and supports, but that can be done later, when it isn't raining.

Was it worth all that?
Let me just say, NO ONE is going to be traveling on that road and miss it! Wow!

~ Thank you, my Lord for protecting my daughter so that her injury was minor and thank you for opening my eyes to my own mistake and providing that it could be fixed. Please bless our efforts to make our church more visible. ~