Monday, February 28, 2011

Ten Kits at Five Days Old

Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift. ~Albert Einstein

Miss Doe is an excellent mother rabbit. On the night it dipped down to freezing, she pulled out more of her fur and piled it high; the babes were quite toasty. She takes out any little bunny berries and cleans her kits up nicely. A few look as if they may getting firsts at nursing, so I am watching the ones that seem a bit thinner, but all in all they are growing and getting in fuzzy white fur.



~ My Lord, thank you for nature and all it provides us. ~

4 comments:

  1. All I can think of is that you're planning rabbit dinner. It does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganieda, I am sorry it does your head in, but as I see it all of life in this existence survives because of the taking of life...even vegetarians. I once read that even vegetarians compete with animals for food by taking their habitat and by eating vegetation, so even if there is no direct taking of life, life still is sacrificed for the sake of our existence whether we intend it or not, whether it is directly or indirectly purposed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do see that ~ & I have heard that even a lettuce screams when you cut off it's head [imagine what that does to my imagination!] but a plant is not an animal with eyes that look at you & soft cuddly fur & trusts you for food & shelter ~ & I do think they understand more than we give them credit for. But I'm not a hunter & I have enough issues with my boys, who are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ganeida, you know I respect your position very much. Actually I leaned that way in my younger years and I was against killing any animal for any reason at one point, but...somewhere along the line, I saw that being a vegetarian was not for me and I felt no calling to be one. So, I feel that as long as I am a meat-eater I also should have no problem in doing that which must be done to process the meat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you fellow travelers for walking and talking with me along this journey.