Thursday, April 7, 2011

Unseen Forces At Work

He had a dream, and behold, a ladder was set on the earth with its top reaching to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. And behold, the LORD stood above it and said, "I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac... ~Genesis 28:12,13a


While reading Angels by Billy Graham, I was reminded of how much God does intervene in our lives...I mean, I firmly believe He does do that, but it is in the how it is done that I was reminded. For many years I have wished to see an angel. I think there are times I have or at least someone who was guided by an angel to show up with exactly what was needed and never seen again, but I want to see one so there is no doubt in my mind, "This is an angel." To be honest, at that point I probably would understand why angels start their messages with "Do not fear," because it would be a very fearfully wonderful event in one's life. I have friends who are convinced they have seen an angel or two and I admit my elation for them is tangled with bits of jealousy...I wish I could see an angel.

I was also reminded about the other side of the spiritual realm, the one of which I try to remain ignorant, but if there are angels then certainly there are demons also. This is an excerpt from the book:

In the Old Testament, Daniel vividly describes the bitter conflict between the angelic forces of God and the opposing demons of darkness. Before the angel came to him he had spent three weeks mourning (Daniel 10:3). He ate no bread, meat or wine, nor did he anoint himself. As he stood by the Tigris River, a man appeared clothed in linen. His face looked like lightning and his eyes like flaming torches. His voice sounded like the roar of a crowd.

Daniel alone saw the vision. The men who were with him did not. Yet a great dread came upon them, and they ran away to hide. Left alone with the heavenly visitor, Daniel's strength departed from him, so great was the effect of this personage on him.

Daniel was held in the bonds of a great sleep, yet he heard the voice of the angel. A hand touched him and the angel described an experience he himself had just had. The angel had started to come to Daniel from the moment he began to pray, but en route was waylaid by a demon prince who engaged him in conflict and delayed him. Then Michael came to help this subordinate angel, freeing him to fulfill his mission to Daniel.

I tend to think that God does everything in His own time, but it may be that some things do get delayed when one of God's messengers are opposed. It is a very sobering thought that spiritual beings struggle with each other outside the range of our senses, one side working in service for the Lord and the other side trying to prevent that work being done.

Makes me wonder just how many times I struggled, as Daniel did, while an angel also was in a struggle after being sent to help me. It is a comforting and rather frightening thought all at the same time.

~ My Lord, thank you for always for Your care and for your messengers who have helped me even though I was unaware of them. ~