Saturday, March 20, 2010

4-H Spring Fling


The life of a man consists not in seeing visions and in dreaming dreams, but in active charity and in willing service. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Our 4-H meeting was originally scheduled on the first Tuesday evening of March, but it was postponed one week due to the possibility of icy roads. I knew from experience this particular meeting would be long. First there was to be campaigning for the upcoming vote for next year's officers. Then there was the Tackiest Queen and King Contest. I did not plan on participating and the Princess choose to play with her afternoon company, two girls from the neighborhood, rather than preparing for the contest. They did different age groups, including the adults. I took pictures of some of the winners.

This lady is the head adult leader. I promise you there was no favoritism though: she was by far the tackiest!

Squeezed in after the meeting and contest was a speaker about the local horse rescue. I would have loved that we had more time for this one. It was quite interesting. In one of those glowing moments when my Princess shows her caring heart and maturity, she asked the speaker how many horses they had saved this year. I think the woman was surprised because she was the only child who asked a truly pertinent question in regards to what she talking about. The answer was 29 since just this year since January. That number was over half of what they did last year and it is not yet mid March!


Lastly, the community service project was to prepare Easter baskets for the children's home and stacking all the chairs for clean up. I can only describe this as organized chaos, but it all gets done. By the time we took the picture with the baskets, half of the people had already left; the meeting went very late and it was a school night.


The next weekend (last weekend, actually) was the Spring Fling. It was rather chilly. The leader asked me if I would be face painting. This is kind of ironic in a way, because I became interested in face painting during the last Spring Fling, but the woman who did it then had two parties that day, so I ordered some more paints: neon colors that actually glow under black lights plus white and pink, since they are the most used colors. My husband and daughter were there, but I was busy from the time I set up until we left, with only a few breaks to warm up, that I had no idea where they were most of the time. My fingers were so cold that I felt rather clumsy with the brushes the entire day. I did not get pictures of my work; I was just too busy really. However, I had some nice complements. One family even said that they had face painting done at Disney World and that my work was far better...and cheaper at $2 to $3. Of course, all the money went to the 4-H Club and I really don't know how much I contributed. While it was all fun, the cold did get to me and it took me two days to recuperate from being unusually tired with back muscles aching.


~ My Lord, please continue to bless us through the 4-H Club and thank you for giving me a talent that can use to help raise support money for the club. ~