Sunday, March 7, 2010

Renewal and Hope


Daffodils
by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

On Saturday morning, the Princess and I made breakfast together: scrambled eggs and waffles. Our waffle maker fell apart some time ago and has not been replaced so I resorted to recently buying some of the pre-made frozen kind that I could toss into the toaster. The Princess is quite proud of herself in being able to cook the scrambled eggs herself and she does a very good job, even seasons them perfectly.

It was our plan to have a good breakfast for energy to burn when we began to thoroughly clean the house before we had to leave to pick up my husband at the airport...and clean we did! We stripped the beds and made them up. We both dusted different rooms and clean our own bathrooms. I vacuumed. She mopped, took out the trash, and shook out the rugs. A light lunch was squeezed in at the proper time and she had a bit of time to play a computer game.

We picked up my husband around 4:00 PM and he was kind enough to take us out to eat, since we had worked so hard and were rather tired. After dinner, we came home to hungry pets. It was bath time for the Princess. I tried to relax and stay out of the way because I knew my husband would be going through things trying to find something he needed for work but could not find and thought he left at home. He had me looking for the last two days but I did not find it—and for good reason as he did find it last night right in the backpack he had with him on the trip. This is so unlike him that I figured the time zone thing messed with his brain.

Then it was work time for my husband as he had to make his flight plans for New York on Monday, tomorrow, but he did not make reservations for the return flight, as he hopes to take the day off on Friday because the next week he will be in Mexico, training for his new job. We shall see how that goes....

This morning, Sunday, was church services. Going to and from, we played the daffodil game as we always have this time of year since the Princess could say the word. Daffodils are the first flowers to bloom after the winter, so whenever we spot the yellow blooms we call out "daffodils." It is a first call, first tally kind of thing and the Princess likes to remind us how many she has when she is in the lead.

We had a our pastor installation service to formally establish our new pastor today. My husband, the Princess, and I had separate parts we were to read; The Princess was the only child to do this and she read beautifully: clear and loud with feeling. There were also some congregational readings as part of the service and a brief sermon. It was a very good day.

Since we only really have one day together and my husband was still a bit tired with adjusting between the time zones, we decided to not attend evening service. I had to wake him to ask if he would like to go or not. This decision, though, ended up being a mistake of sorts, because later on my husband remembered he planned to pick up his reading glasses left at the church since he would need to take them with him on the morrow. As I write this, my husband and the Princess are taking a trip to the church, since he has the keys and security code, to get the glasses.

When they return, the Princess will have a scoop of ice cream and then prepare for bed. We must leave by 7:30 AM for the airport. No doubt we will be again playing our daffodil game. I wonder who will win tomorrow....

~ My Lord, thank you for providing our new pastor and the first signs of spring. There is a spirit of renewal and hope in both and I look forward to the changes they both will bring. ~