Saturday, September 24, 2011

Left with Absence

Families with babies and families without babies are sorry for each other. ~Ed Howe

I kissed my child and husband good-bye today. In the hour drive home from the airport, I found myself left with their absence. Now I am home...alone. Most of their things are still here, but the ones who gave those things meaning and life have departed. Except for a pet occasionally stirring in sleep, the house is unnaturally still. So, it will be until Thursday when they return from Florida.

It is strange to desire time to oneself and then, in having it, unfamiliar feelings of both loss and freedom emerge. Like a first meeting of strangers, the first moments are inviting yet awkward, not unwelcome yet not as appealing as one hoped.

I miss them.

~ My Lord, I promised myself that I would do some work but also some enjoyable things. Please help me keep my word to myself. ~