Friday, March 13, 2009

Mary and Martha

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." ~ Luke 10:38-42

After the frenzy of consignment sale shopping yesterday, this morning we are indulging ourselves by getting a relaxed start on the day. The Princess arose later than usual, but then we had eaten rather late last night, so she did not fall asleep right away. I decided to mix things up this morning by starting with math and having piano practice afterward. The house was a bit chilled and, with a clouded sky, there would be no sunlight streaming through the windows to warm it, so I decided that starting a fire in the fireplace would be just enough to warm the place without using the furnace.

The Princess helped bring in wood and I began to work on the starting the fire, which was a bit more stubborn than I had hoped taking more time than I wanted. In the meantime, the Princess had gotten a few books and began reading (for the time it was taking, who could blame her, really). As the fire finally established itself and I began fretting on how much time had been wasted, I heard the Lord whispering to my heart. I turned my head and watched my daughter as she finished the second of the Bible stories she had chosen to read aloud to me.

Although it was not one of the stories my daughter read, my Lord reminded me of the story about Mary and Martha. Here I was eager to just start the day with more than half the morning gone, yet again feeling a bit anxious about how much I hoped to accomplish with lessons and with math lessons still looming, and here was my daughter choosing to spend time learning about our Lord. How precious a moment I would have missed by steamrolling over it in a rush to do the next thing!

It seems the Lord is giving me a lesson today. I am a Martha, who has been given a Mary, from whom I am to learn, while she is listening to Him.

Thank you, my Lord, for reminding me this day that you are the One who is in charge of my daughter's education. If all she learns today is what You wanted her to learn, then what is math or any other subject compared to that? She will learn all that she needs to fulfill what You have planned for her in Your time. Help me, my Lord, to trust that more.