Monday, January 14, 2013

After All This...

Church isn’t where you meet. Church isn’t a building. Church is what you do. Church is who you are. Church is the human outworking of the person of Jesus Christ. Let’s not go to Church, let’s be the Church. ~Bridget Willard

Even when I know how things are going to go, even when I know that people will believe whatever they want to believe, I am still hopeful that people will get it. That they will hear the words being spoken to them in full context instead of hearing only the parts they wanted to hear or seeing what is being said as a confirmation of what they wanted to believe even though it is contrary to the truth.

My husband went to the church board meeting to resign and he talked for several minutes about how we knew the Lord was telling us to go. He explained in detail what we had written in our resignation letter. He even told them that we would not put the "reaching up and reaching out" tagline on the website, because it did not fit with the church. Nothing he said was news to them. They have heard and even have said the same themselves for the last three years.

We wanted them to understand this was not about what we wanted but in obedience to our Lord. We wanted them to understand this was not about our daughter being one of the only two children, but that we were failing in our God given mission to reach the unsaved and unchurched. We wanted them to understand that when they were praying about our church to grow that they were really asking God to provide everything while they changed nothing instead of being willing to change according to God's will.

That is what I hoped they would hear and understand, but what did they say to my husband before he left?

"You have to do what is right for your family."

It has bothered me every since my husband told me.

No one said "you must do what is right in the Lord's eyes," or even " if you feel this is God's will, then go in peace," and wouldn't it be absolutely wonderful for any one of them to say "although I will miss you, I also know you are following the Lord's leading."

I suppose we are doing what is "right for [our] family," because we are choosing to obey our Lord, but...that statement just seems so lacking in any acknowledgement of God, as if He is not really involved let alone the reason we have resigned.

And if He is not the reason, would not this decision be based on our own selfish reasons? Is that really what they are thinking of us, we are being selfish? No, they would never say it that way, but it comes down to this: either we are being led by God to leave or we are leaving against God's will. There really is no gray area here. My husband and I spent months praying and making sure that this was God's leading.

It seems that they will tell themselves, and each other, is that we left for whatever reasons, but certainly not because God was leading us, as that would mean coming to terms some things God has to say to the church. I will continue to pray that they hear God clearly on His purpose for the church for it all really has to be about what God wants for it to work.

~ My Lord, every time I have second thoughts and I question if we really were called by You to leave, something is said that is another sign from You that we are doing what is right in Your eyes. Thank you for the confirmation for us, but Lord please help them to hear You clearly. ~