Saturday, August 1, 2009

Changes Happen


We know that change is rarely a smooth process. It can be intimidating and chaotic. In fact, transition has the potential to either launch an organization to the next level, or dump it into the deepest pit. That’s why wise leaders look out for change, then manage it, and lead their people through it. ~John Maxwell

There has been some changes in my little church. The kind that test a church. The kind that test me also.

There are times when I see something coming. I just know without knowing. Perhaps the Lord provided me with this knowledge to prepare me personally, or help others, or perhaps He is calling me to act, to pray. A couple of weeks ago I felt called to fast for five days. I did not know specifically why at the time, but now I believe I do.

My pastor resigned this week.

Upon first learning this I felt some anxiety, even though just a few days before I had asked my husband, "You don't think she is going to resign, do you?" There was no mention of her even thinking of resigning and no one asking for her to do so, as far as I know. Yet, oddly, I was more surprised that those words had came out of my mouth prophetically than of her actually doing it.

I do not know how, other than by the grace of my Lord, that part of me knew in advance, yet I resisted accepting the knowledge, as if that alone would keep it from happening. Such things happen with me more often than I would like, actually. It seems the Lord gives me knowledge of things I would rather stay ignorant sometimes.

In the coming weeks, there will be more changes at my church and most likely a sense of uneasiness and disorganization. Some people, perhaps most, do not do well with such changes in a church, particularly changes in leadership, so I am not certain about the future of my church. Some people may leave. We may have to change our priorities. Working towards a new building may not happen as quickly as hoped.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Lord has a plan--His own--and He is still our Almighty God and Leader. If we are accepting of His plan and surrendered to Him and keep our hearts seeking Him, whatever plans He has for my church will be used for His purpose and glory. After all, church services are about worshiping and serving Him, regardless of what building it is in, or if the multimedia system is being cued on time, or who is speaking from the pulpit. Still, I will miss her not being there...very much.

~ My Lord, bring this church to the place of surrender to Your plan and let it continue to be a place of healing.~