Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Knock, Knock!

For to which of the angels did He ever say,
“ You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You”?
And again,
“ I will be a Father to Him
And He shall be a Son to Me”? ~Hebrews 1:5

On Monday as I was just getting ready to leave on an errand, a nicely dressed woman and a young girl about the age of my daughter, also nicely dressed, knocked on our front door. The woman seemed nervous and began with her introduction. I was patient up to when she offered to share in a scripture study, and then I asked if she was Jehovah Witness. She smiled brightly and seemed to relax at that point with her affirmation. I offered an apologetic look at her and her daughter as I said that we have a problem as our theologies greatly differ.

She asked in what way, as I knew she would. You see, JWs are the best-trained religious salesmen. I believe they are trained to take every answer as a possible "yes" and that as long as you will keep talking that you will provide them with information that they can use to get their foot into the door of your soul. I have to say that I like it when they take that bait, because I have studied a bit on the differences between their beliefs and my own much over the years.

I decided to go for the same argument I did last time we had JW visitors: the angel argument. The last time I gave the angel argument, another JW woman admitted it immediately and even told me that she used to be Baptist. She was interested my objections and well prepared. Sometimes I go for the Bible translation argument. Then there are the multiple "end of the world" predictions in their own Watch Tower publications that some how are not indexed anymore so newcomers would not stumble onto them and see the false prophecy, but I have the dates and publication references. I remember well the last date as I was turning fifteen years old because I had a friend who was JW and believed it.

I said that we did not agree on who Jesus is and that they believe He is an angel rather than the Son of God. She assured me that she believed that Jesus was God's Son. As an angel, I said. She affirmed that she believed that Jesus was the Son of God, but I noted that she did not deny or affirm that she believed He was an angel.

Observing her nervousness, I thought that maybe she was new to the church, although I know they usually do not send members out without a great deal of training. I said the Jehovah Witnesses believe that Jesus was an angel and if she was new to the church she needed to look it up. She told me she had been with the church for years and knew what she believed. Since my daughter was standing inside the door waiting for me so we could go, I decided that I would again give them an apologetic look and politely say good-bye declining their offering of literature.

I am not sure what the visitor really believes, but Jehovah Witnesses believe that Jesus is the archangel Michael as stated on their own website: Who Is Michael the Archangel?

They also believe that Jesus was a created being, God's first creation, as stated on their website under Who Is Jesus Christ? Where Did He Come From?. They base this on Colossians 1:15 where He is called “the firstborn of all creation,” but it is taken out of context, because the following verses state:

16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities— all things have been created through Him and for Him.

If all things both in the heavens and on earth were created by Him, how can He be created since He had to be in existence before other things were created. Well, John 1:1-3 explains that one:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Now I wish I had taken more time with the lady to further challenge her beliefs, but they just never seem to come by at a convenient time. I would have read from my favorite book of the Bible, Hebrews. In fact, I used to have the first chapter memorized just so I could challenge the Jehovah Witnesses even when I did not have a Bible handy. That chapter addresses any thoughts about Jesus being an angel.

~ My Lord, we try so hard to fit you into our box of limited understanding. I pray that Your Truth always becomes evident in the heart of each person. ~