Friday, March 8, 2013

Organizing Food Storage in My Kitchen - Part 2

If you can organize your kitchen, you can organize your life. ~Louis Parrish

With the bulk of the flour removed (and buggy ones thrown out) I now had some space in that cabinet above the stove. I decided that the baking ingredients should remain there because they are not needed as often as the other items. You can see part of my collection of tins on top. I am thinking of reducing that collection down, but that will be decided at a later time. For now, I am writing about the baking cabinet.


Long ago I had purchased two plastic containers meant for 5lb. bags of flour but they were never convenient when measuring out the flour, so while I used them, I did not really like them for that purpose. Now that my flour is in the jumbo canisters, I had these containers available. In one I placed powdered sugar in its original resealable bag and the other have cornmeal and cornstarch.

I recently purchased five "vintage" 6-cup Rubbermaid Servin' Savers, a Goodwill find for 97¢ each, of which two are in this cabinet. (Would you believe that someone has one listed for $14.99 on eBay just now? Oh, yes, I do know about BPA but even if these containers have them they are being used for dry food only so leaching is not as much as a concern.) One has Buckwheat and Waffle Mix and the other Cornbread Mix. Each is labeled and very accessible, as well as easy to measure out. I even cut the instructions and ingredients off their original bags and taped them on the back of the containers. These stack well enough, but the one thing I do not like about them is that the lid lip sticks out around the top so that placing them next to each other wastes space, but for less than a dollar, that thrifty side of me says I can work with it until I find another low priced solution.

If you look hard you will notice the large yellow and orange Kroger's Manger Special label on a bottle of agave, which was half the price just because they reorganized the Nature's Market section of the store and discontinued it. The same happened with the box of organic chocolate icing mix at my favorite little health store. The many extra cans of baking powder was a low price buy at Big Lots which was cheaper than I could get even with my discount at the health store. (I suppose technically the extra cans should be in the pantry now that I think about it.) The flour mixes in the containers where also bought marked down for being close to their sell-by dates, but where kept in the freezer until opened. I usually buy most everything that goes into baking goods on in bulk while on sale or marked down, and with even with the added reduction of coupons when I have them.

~ My Lord, it is a small pleasure to open cabinets that are arranged well and to have its contents be easily to use. I quite imagine You might feel the same when You open our hearts and put things in order for us. ~