Sunday, March 10, 2013

Organizing Food Storage in My Kitchen - Part 4

The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest.
~ Thomas Moore

To the right of the cans and jars cabinet, which has no divider by design, is the pasta, rice, and box mixes cabinet. I used to have the box mixes in another cabinet yet to be seen. Previously the lower shelf had granola and bags of pasta resealed as we have a FoodSaver and we would also have bags of chips also resealed. This did not make for an organized look at all, however all the items were protected from pests!

I used to have the brown rice in a larger container when we used to make dog food for two dogs, but now a smaller one would do well. I also had no container for my favorite wild rices so I used two of those aforementioned (earlier post) five 6-cup Rubbermaid Servin' Savers purchased from Goodwill for each of these. I filled my Creamette tin in the corner with fettuccine, as I am currently out of spaghetti. This is one of the tins I have in my collection that actually gets used in the cabinets. Instead of resealing the bags of pasta. I decided that they would be better stored in re-purposed plastic containers that may not be as air tight, but suitable for pasta. Stacking the boxes face down is just an easier way to see everything and uses the vertical space more efficiently.

The reason I placed these all together is that the Princess is able to read instructions on a box and make these foods—following the directions is an entirely different issue with a tween brain, but let's just not go there right now. She also is particularly fond of macaroni and cheese as well as tuna noodle casserole, so this is mostly set up for her. The containers are not labeled because the ingredients can be easily identified and the containers may not always have the same kind of pasta or rice in them—there's some of that that fluidity I was mentioning earlier.

~ My Lord, as I went through one cabinet at a time, I kept thinking if only I would be better at taking one moment at a time with You. ~