Monday, December 6, 2010

Trojan Defeated...Finally!


Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog. ~Doug Larson

I have not really been online. I created a few of the Advent Calendar posts ahead of time and scheduled them to post. Good thing, too, because I have been spending my computer time on learning how to identify my Trojan infection and remove all kinds of malware, the most difficult was a Google redirect so my searches for fixes and answers online were rather frustrating. If only these hackers would put their talent into creating helpful software!

I think I even fixed my old hard drive of its infections also, however I was so happy with the way I began setting up the new-to-me hard drive that I decided to continue with it. The thing was that one of the malware removal programs I used...well, it hung up my computer big time, took a great deal of space, and even messed with files, so that I felt it was better to go back to a restore point and start over from there. Even though the hard drive was already infected at that restore point, I believed I knew how to get it off quick and easy...it only took two or three days to figure out it could be done in 20 minutes!

So far, so good!

Now, I have programs to again load onto my computer today, including an email program. I have been using Firefox as my browser, which is usually not the main target for viruses, but apparently hackers are more equal opportunity types than they used to be. Still, I was trying out Thunderbird, a free email program, and I definitely like it much better that Outlook as well as the calendar, Sunbird; these all are Mozilla programs.

I have much to do in reloading and arranging my computer again...and feed a child, so I had better get to those things. I just wanted you to know if you have emailed me and I have not responded or if wondered why I am not visiting your blog, this is the reason.

~ My Lord, please let this be the end of it, so that I can focus on things like baking cookies, making candy, holiday decorating, wrapping gifts, and just enjoying my friends and family. ~