Friday, December 10, 2010

Advent Day 10


Faith sees a beautiful blossom in a bulb, a lovely garden in a seed, and a giant oak in an acorn. ~William Arthur Ward

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Acorn

Reading: Acorns have long been thought to be good luck symbols in Germany where oak trees are considered sacred. The German saying "from little acorns come might oaks" shows the protective nature of a mother's belief that when one provides nurturing and care, one can anticipate great results. Acorns are also believed to represent the rebirth of life as witnessed through the coming of Jesus.

It is difficult to imagine the potential of a large strong oak tree is in something so small and simple as an acorn. This has a particular meaning for me today as I received news last night that is crushing a hope I had. Had? Have I abandoned it completely?

You know, not one oak tree looks like another. Each grows to be different. God has this plan in how He wants to shape me through experiences in my life even though some of them are not that pleasant. I have to remind myself today that the faith of a mustard seed can move mountains and it seems an insurmountable task to change the course of where this seems to be going. Even though I believe God can do it, the question is will He do it...? I am afraid to hope.

~ My Lord, lately I have been afraid to see the acorn as anything other than just an acorn, I have been afraid to hope, to see that which is yet unseen, to see life spring up from what seems dead. I thank you for this reminder today, that from one acorn can an entire forest grow. Please help me to hope in the things You have prepared for me and for which I am being prepared. ~