Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent Day 5


How could one be in this world without feeling dismayed by it? Even if one paints flowers and gingerbread. ~Gerhard Richter, German Artist


Gingerbread

Reading: Gingerbread houses and gingerbread men have been associated with Christmas for hundreds of years. In the middle ages, ladies gave gingerbread cakes to their favorite knights. A gingerbread cake in the shape of a heart would keep a knight safe from evil.

Here are some more tasty tidbits on gingerbread here.

Two years ago my husband bought a gingerbread house kit and it became a father-daughter project as Mama was quite done with baking and decorating at that point. I do want to make a gingerbread house one day, but I just have to do it from scratch, without a kit...basically the hard way. If you know me, you know that I just like everything to be challenging and really complicated and even overwhelming. Why? I guess it is like this, some get their "spice" from climbing mountains but I think I must get mine from making the ordinary everyday things extremely difficult.

~ My Lord, thank you for the spice and the sweet of life. ~